Friday 3 June 2011

The beer revolution continues...

BEER! What do you think is acceptable ingredients in a beer? Do you think that the "German Beer Purity Law" should still be followed? (German purity law, I get a foul taste in my mouth by just thinking those words!) Barley, hops and water huh? Is that beer for you? What about chocolate? Or what about coffee? Or hmm let's say, what about chili? Is it OK to put chili in a beer? Or what about bacon, bacon's good with everything right? Let's take this even further, what about snuff in a beer? Yeah now we're getting somewhere, and while we're at it let's add some bladderwrack (seaweed) to make it interesting! What do you think about that???

Put it under your lip!


Anyways, put your hands together and let's welcome...

"Midtfyns Rough Snuff":

Rough Snuff was brewed by a crazy Danish craft beer brewer called Erik Nielsen, he managed to catch Midtfyns attention and was invited to brew one of his own homemade brews at Midtfyns Brewhouse. This was the second ale in Midtfyns series where they invite Danish amateur craft beer brewers to brew for them. And they won the fucking first price for "Best new Danish beer" by the Danish Beer Drinkes Association for it. What a feeling that must be, to win a price for a beer brewed by a guest brewer... On the bottle you can read that this is a fisherman's ale, and I can just imagine some bearded old Danish man (Probably Erik Nielsen) standing on the deck of his little boat, with waves higher than his mast, with this bottle in his hand. He takes a sip before going "ahhh" and then "arhh", stares out on the angry sea, before blabbering something that must be a swearword only locals can understand. But as refreshing as that might sound I still prefer to drink it at the pub...

I have been so lucky to drink three or four bottles of this lovely delight, lucky you say? Yeah, lucky, you see it's an illegal ale, and your probably never gonna get to try it. (HA-HA while pointing like Nelson) And putting snuff in your Ale at home is not going to be the same. Why illegal? Because of the added snuff off corse, Midtfyns Brygghus have been prohibited by law not to brew more of this tasty treat. So you can't buy Denmark's best beer anymore! Sad story indeed. On the etiquette it says: "This beer is highly addictive", before they claimed that snuff is good for the blood circulation! Legalize it I say, legalize it! I need it, I want it...

Midtfyns Rough Snuff & Dirty Haffy.


Anyway "Rough Snuff" is a strong Belgian ale, 9,5% in volume no less. Seven different kinds of malt, raisin syrup and spices. When you pour it in your glass you easily get a good head! :) And the foam both smells and tastes like "Guran Bananas" from the "Fantomet" (The phantom) candy bag I ate as a kid. Mmmm that really brought back memories. The taste of the beer is very sweet, and it's easily identified as an Belgian ale. I'm not really a fan of Belgian ales, but I let myself fall for this incredible special beer. It's just that good! The banana taste is the strongest, but you also really taste the snuff, and it tastes good! Other than that there's a hint of the sea, dark chocolate and some licorice. Very complexed beer. Me and my bandmate Eddie bought the last two they had at Cardinal last Saturday. But if you should be so lucky to find this anywhere, go get it! Or steal it, whatever! Mmmm...

Me very impressed with the foam of the worlds first non alcoholic stout!

So since this is a beer blog (mainly), and I was just at a world premier, I think I should mentions Nøgne Ø's "Stuten". Stuten is a word play on "Stout" & "Uten", "Uten" being the Norwegian word for without. Yeah, it's a non-alcoholic Stout, the first ever made. It's been a month or so, and that means I don't remember too many details. I just remember it had a pretty impressive head, though it didn't taste like I'm used to with stouts, it was still tasty, but thinner. And instead of tasting better and better the more room tempered it got and the more I drank of it, this one worked the other way around. This version was unpasteurized and had a very limited holding time: 32 of June 2011 it said on the bottle. :) But anyway it didn't really do it for me. At the same day, because it was in the daytime this tasting session, I also tried Brewdog's "Nanny State", and that was much more true to what the Brewery stands for that with the stout. Nanny State was hoppy as hell and much more likable. But sorry y'all, beer without alcohol just doesn't taste right...  But these "alternatives" that I have mentioned here is much much better that the traditional convenient store alcohol free beer! But my advice is still, leave your car at home and drink real beer!

Cheers
-Dirty Haffy

No comments:

Post a Comment